immutable bug?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 17:07:31 PST 2014

On 13 January 2014 07:06, Johnny Walking <jw at redlabel.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 11 January 2014 at 18:29:36 UTC, Manu wrote:

> I'm  just a bit confused, but recently I've seen many topics from
> Manu and problems which he's facing with D.
>
> So my question is: You don't had any problems when coding
> "Remedy's" 3D engine integration with D back then?
> (http://dconf.org/2013/talks/evans_1.html) or am I missing
> something?

I was doing very different work at that point, stressing totally different
parts of the language - mostly meta stuff. And believe me, I had bugs, lots
of them.
I also had a direct hotline to Walter... I don't feel I have the authority
to pester him directly or as frequently now ;)

What doesn't come across in my posts is that the D experience today is _so
much_ better than it was while I was doing the Remedy work. It's come a
long way in terms of quality in the last 1-2 years, and generally gets
better every day.
I often remark to myself how relatively rare to is to run into compiler
bugs today.

But you know what seems to reliably make it better? Complaining about it.
Well, that... and the work of all the awesome contributors! :)
Silently adding workarounds to your code, and dropping a bug somewhere has
significantly lesser effect. There's no other functional sense of priority
I'm aware of, voting on issues has apparently little meaning. Issues that
seem to get the most buzz in the forum seem to get fixed the fastest. I'm
good as making noise ;)