Should LLVM become the default D-lang platform?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Jan 13 00:07:41 PST 2014

On Saturday, 11 January 2014 at 20:38:32 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2014-01-10 23:16, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>
>> Yes, but there's a difference between "restrictive" and
>> "intrusive".
>> Using GDC doesn't intrude into anything -- the standard
>> libraries are
>> still Boost-licensed and simply _using_ a GPL'd piece of
>> software
>> doesn't place any obligations on you.
>
> The way Apple has integrated Clang into Xcode would never be
> possible with GCC since that would require Apple to release
> Xcode under the GPL license.

Right, but they are not merely using -- they are redistributing
(and distributing derivative works).  The GPL places certain
constraints here, I think we can all agree, but it can hardly be
described as "intrusive"; there's no obligation to base one's
work on GPL-licensed code.