foreach thoughts

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Jan 14 08:16:59 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 at 15:37:21 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Sorry, that was 2 separate points although it didn't look like
> it.
> The first question was assuming full optimisation, is it
> equivalent to the
> if statement I demonstrate with full optimisation in practise?
> (I'll do
> some tests, but people must have already experimented in various
> circumstances, and identified patterns?)

Don't think so. LDC is best at doing such transformation per my
observations but it still major are for improvements in general.

> I'd like to know if anybody can see any path towards inlined
> lambda's/literal's/micro-functions in non-optimised builds?
> I guess the first question is, is this a problem that is even
> worth
> addressing? How many people are likely to object in principle?

I'd object against it general. Important trait of such builds is
resulting code gen that matches original source code as much as
possible. Mass inlining will kill it. But I don't see why you use
"debug" and "non-optimised" as synonyms here. For example, in DMD
"-release" vs "-debug" are orthogonal to "-O". I see no problems
with doing optimised debug build.