Componentizing D's garbage collector

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Tue Jan 14 10:38:18 PST 2014

On 01/14/2014 06:56 PM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
>> Once it becomes known that an object should be pinned, it is too late
>> for moving. (There will then exist a potential pointer to the object.)
>
> Well no, usually you have to pin objects _before_ passing them to
> C-land. Pinning is not a automatic process its done manually (or by the
> compiler).

BTW, our misunderstandings are rooted here:
http://dlang.org/garbage.html

"Object Pinning and a Moving Garbage Collector

Although D does not currently use a moving garbage collector, by
following the rules listed above one can be implemented. No special
action is required to pin objects. A moving collector will only move
objects for which there are no ambiguous references, and for which it
can update those references. All other objects will be automatically
pinned."