Componentizing D's garbage collector

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Tue Jan 14 13:27:54 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 at 17:38:56 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> Bleh. If anything you may as well lose it - manual memory
> management is the only option to guarantee you something to the
> extent of having related object together in the same page. That
> is if you can make it so by hand.

Under what assumption? There is not optimal garbage collector,
you have to select or adapt one that fits the application.

You can tag objects by a group id or type id and use that during
compaction.

> write do *cost* something. This cost is then regained (with
> interest) by applying simpler and efficient algorithms such as
> semi-space compaction.

I wouldn't call semi-space compaction efficient, it can lead to
heavy paging.