GDC and Fedora 20

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 10:34:40 PST 2014

Russel Winder wrote:

> I think there was a flurry of activity about this in 2011 and probably
> more recently, but…
>
> GDC appears not to be available on Fedora 20. Fedora is GCC 4.8 but has
> no GDC, Debian is also 4.8 and has GDC. So is there anywhere to get an
> RPM of the 4.8 version of GDC for Fedora 20?
>
> If there is great, if not and someone has a spec file, I have some
> machine cycles I can use to create an RPM (yes I do know that GCC takes
> about 200 hours to compile).

The story is (as expected) a little bit long...

We have few alternatives here:

1) We wait for GDC to be inside GCC. In the long run this will be the best
solution, and I think everybody agrees with me on this. :)

2) As Iain noted, I have made GCC SPEC which basically builds what I call
"system GCC" - a set of GCC packages that are installed in /usr . This package
is for those brave enough to replace GCC RPMs with my GCC RPMs. I use this for
years, however I did not have time to work on 4.8 RPMs. It should not take long
for me to provide SPEC for 4.8.x, but what will take long is to provide support
for various Fedora versions (check pkgs.fedoraproject.org , search for gcc). I
do not have time for this, as I have more important projects I work on, that is
why I never announced availability of Fedora GCC SPEC file which builds GDC as
well.

3) This is the easiest way of providing GDC in any RPM-based distro - make a
minimal GCC with GDC build, and install it in /opt/gdc . I could actually
maintain this, as it requires minimal work that does not depend on whatever is
going on in Fedora/EPEL world.
I could probably do such RPM in a day.

--
Dejan Lekic