SHA-3 is KECCAK

Chris Cain clcain at uncg.edu
Sun Jan 19 08:42:09 PST 2014

On Sunday, 19 January 2014 at 15:09:46 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> Consequence of a 2-document collision is big enough, that a
> 12-document collision doesn't pose any notably bigger threat.
> Nostradamus is all they could come up with, which is laughable.
> If they upgrade this to an actual partial 3.6-bit preimage
> attack, and one collision takes 2 days as they say, for a
> comparison, with such partial preimage attack, full preimage
> attack on a 32-bit hash like crc32 will take 2^^(32-3.6)*2 days
> = 1959870 years in an ideal case.

By the way, I didn't respond to this, but I suppose I should.

https://code.google.com/p/tweakcrc/
http://blog.fortinet.com/trash-crc32/

Hence why you should keep your butt out of cryptography
discussions until you take any class on it at the very least.
Your calculation is garbage and shows how you haven't a single
clue about what you are talking about.

Again, you can have the last word, but I'm certain I'm done here
regardless. If you can't see the fact that you aren't smarter
than the experts by now (with the above) then I don't think I can
convince you with my words. Experience is the best teacher
sometimes. I just hope that I never accidentally use a program
you write expecting my data to be secure.