Aurora Graphics Library Initial Design Discussion

ponce contact at gam3sfrommars.fr
Sun Jan 19 09:37:50 PST 2014

On Sunday, 19 January 2014 at 10:07:08 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Here's something to consider, though. The Steam Hardware &
> Software Survey [1] gives a good baseline for the gaming market
> (what used to be called the "hardcore" market, but I think it's
> more than that now). However, I wouldn't consider it anywhere
> near mainstream. Among that market, D3D11 (OpenGL 4.x)
> penetration is only 54%. Fast-forward to a year from now and
> you're probably looking at somewhere between 80-90%. Cut that
> in half for the wider market and you've got a rough baseline
> for the mainstream computer user.

Yeah, when looking at Steam Hardware & Software Survey, you have
to be aware that it best represents the hardcore gamer segment.
The indie and casual gamers typically have an Intel GPU much more
frequently that the survey would lead to believe. Even in 2013,
OpenGL games requiring OpenGL 2.1+ might have lots of problems on
release.