Aurora Graphics Library Initial Design Discussion

Tofu Ninja emmons0 at purdue.edu
Sun Jan 19 17:38:26 PST 2014

On Monday, 20 January 2014 at 01:15:26 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> Show me how it could be done in a Low-Level API Agnostic way
> without violating encapsulation (don't leak the low-level API
> to the front-end) and we'll consider it. If the user must
> import a Low-Level API (DX/OGL) to work with Aurora under all
> use cases to get Aurora to compile then we've failed. There
> might be a way to do it with a special package for that
> purpose, but it'll have to be carefully built. I still like
> returning the context as a void pointer for people who know
> what their doing.

Almost all the backends support the same set of tools, so a
proper abstraction over the backends to make an immediate mode
api is not farfetched at all. Once that was complete, the
retained mode api could be built on top of that without any need
to know what was underneath. All I proposing is that an extra
layer of abstraction be put in that will greatly increase the
flexibility of Aurora.