Should this work?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Jan 20 03:14:46 PST 2014

On Monday, 20 January 2014 at 10:22:03 UTC, Regan Heath wrote:
> I was thinking in a very Windows centric way when I wrote my
> comment but it doesn't surprise me that other platforms can be
> configured to other locales.  What do they default to?

UTF-8 for most "user-friendly" distros I know. Region/locale is
usually entered by user during installation but encoding is
always UTF-8. That said, changing it system-wide is just matter
of tweaking config and regenerating locale so that can't be
relied upon in standard library.

> The last Linux install I did was for my Raspberry Pi and UTF-8
> was recommended, and I selected it, and yet still I had to
> break out some weird console magic to fully realise that choice
> (I think there was a disjoint component which had not been
> configured correctly.. some part of the installation dropped
> the ball).

Most likely just installer issue for specific distro you have
used.