[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 04:56:44 PST 2014

On Monday, 20 January 2014 at 12:30:27 UTC, Chris wrote:
> At work we use Ubuntu, however, I'm not at all happy with it
> and don't want to use it on my private computer. Which is the
> best alternative (I've been looking at OpenSUSE; Mint is based
> on Ubuntu/Debian but only shares the repository with Ubuntu
> (right?); Fedora has bad reviews at the moment and might be a
> pain to set up (drivers etc.)). I'm also considering FreeBSD, a
> completely different beast.

I'm really enjoying Arch + Xmonad. Every time I have to use my
work machine with openSuse and gnome or kde I feel like it's
getting in my way at every turn by comparison.

Simple, controllable distro + a good tiling window manager =
productive, flexible programmer.

As a bonus, Arch has great D support out of the box :)