[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

Craig Dillabaugh cdillaba at cg.scs.carleton.ca
Mon Jan 20 05:54:08 PST 2014

On Monday, 20 January 2014 at 12:30:27 UTC, Chris wrote:
> At work we use Ubuntu, however, I'm not at all happy with it
> and don't want to use it on my private computer. Which is the
> best alternative (I've been looking at OpenSUSE; Mint is based
> on Ubuntu/Debian but only shares the repository with Ubuntu
> (right?); Fedora has bad reviews at the moment and might be a
> pain to set up (drivers etc.)). I'm also considering FreeBSD, a
> completely different beast.

I use OpenSUSE with KDE desktop.  I've had no problems working
with most D related stuff.  One minor problem with OpenSUSE is I
find that often things are set up just a little differently than
in some of the more popular distro's.  This isn't generally a
problem as the Repositories are pretty complete, but sometimes
trying to configure certain software can be a bit of a pain if
the instructions you have found were written for Ubuntu/Redhat
(which is common).

One D related problem (a small one) I had was with DUB.  It
requires libcurl and it seems SUSE uses a different naming
convention for this library than other distros.  This (along with
me downloading the wrong DUB binary), caused me some trouble the
first time I tried to use it. See:

http://forum.rejectedsoftware.com/groups/rejectedsoftware.dub/thread/230/

Now everything works. DUB complains about missing
libcurl-gnutls.so.4 every time I run it ... but it still works.

Having said all that, now that I've read this thread I guess I am
going to have to switch to Arch Linux.