Non-null objects, the Null Object pattern, and T.init

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jan 20 11:27:31 PST 2014

On 1/20/2014 6:18 AM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> Think about the effect of this: 1 router detects a bug, by the logic in this
> thread it should then notify all routers running the same software and tell them
> to shut down immediately. Result: insta-death to entire Internet.

Not only has nobody suggested this, I have explicitly written here otherwise,
more than once.

I infer you think that my arguments here are based on something I dreamed up in
5 minutes of tip-tapping at my keyboard. They are not. They are what Boeing and
the aviation industry use extremely successfully to create incredibly safe
airliners, and the track record is there for anyone to see.

It's fine if believe you've found a better way. But there's a high bar of
existing practice and experience to overcome with a better way, and a need to
start from a position of understanding that successful existing practice first.