[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Mon Jan 20 19:50:25 PST 2014

Am Mon, 20 Jan 2014 13:03:18 +0000
schrieb "Daniel Kozak" <kozzi11 at gmail.com>:

> On Monday, 20 January 2014 at 12:30:27 UTC, Chris wrote:
> > At work we use Ubuntu, however, I'm not at all happy with it
> > and don't want to use it on my private computer. Which is the
> > best alternative (I've been looking at OpenSUSE; Mint is based
> > on Ubuntu/Debian but only shares the repository with Ubuntu
> > (right?); Fedora has bad reviews at the moment and might be a
> > pain to set up (drivers etc.)). I'm also considering FreeBSD, a
> > completely different beast.
>
> I try lots of distros (*buntu, debian, suse, mandriva, fedora,
> centos, gentoo...). And every distro has some cons and pros. But
> then I discovered Arch linux. After that, I do not have a reason
> to try another distro :).
>
> BTW. Arch linux has perfect D support

Not that there is any competition going on, but Gentoo has
support for installing multiple versions of DMD, GDC and LDC2
at once. It has the "dman" command to quickly look up stuff
on dlang.org. It can install GtkD on top of all three
compilers at once in 32-bit and 64-bit.
And in addition it allows you to chose the compiler (i.e.
optimization) flags and optional components for D packages.
For GtkD the gtksourceview component and a few others are
optional.

--
Marco