Static Analysis Tooling / Effective D

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Jan 21 00:58:18 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 21 January 2014 at 04:34:57 UTC, Brian Schott wrote:
> I've checked in code to the DScanner project that gives it some
> basic static analysis capabilities. When run with the
> --styleCheck option, it will warn about a few things like empty
> declarations, implicit string concatenation, classes with
> lowercase_names, catching "Exception", and a few other things.
>
> There's a small feature wishlist in the project's README, but
> I'd like to get some opinions from the newsgroup: What kinds of
> errors have you seen in your code that you think a static
> analysis tool could help with?

I'd personally love to see most of existing DMD warnings moved to
DScanner and, after it get some recognition, removed from
compiler completely. That, of course, implies some way to tune
output for specific project, supressing some of detection
patterns.

That reminds me about related topic - do we have any pragma /
attribute reserved for external tools? So that one could, for
example, disable analysis error for specific part of sourc code
without disabling it globally?