[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Jan 21 02:16:34 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 21 January 2014 at 09:28:48 UTC, Théo Bueno wrote:
> I am also using Arch for several years now. I've tried a lot of
> distros, but everytime I get back to Arch mostly because of its
> wonderful repos.
> AUR is brilliant, and I love having every package up to date.
> The distro is simple, and everything works like you want
> because you designed your own system.
>
> On Monday, 20 January 2014 at 15:43:59 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> Okidoke. I'll try to install it today in UEFI mode and see
>> what happens.
>
> Manjaro is great but keep in mind that you will not have access
> to ArchLinux official repositories. Manjaro's ones are a little
> bit slower to spread the latest packages, they don't really
> have the same policy.

But using pacman should give me the official ArchLinux repos. I
installed some packages with pacman and it seems that it accessed
the ArchLinux repo.

> I have installed Arch with UEFI on my laptop with the
> bootmanager rEFInd because I needed a dual boot. This is fairly
> simple, but if you only need to have one distro on your
> computer, I recommend you to boot using linux's UEFI bootstub,
> which is blazing fast.

UEFI installation failed or "didn't happen" with Manjaro. I
installed it, got the message that everything was fine, and then
on reboot I was shown "Ubuntu" as an option that did not and
could not work, because it had been erased from disk. I installed
in legacy mode and it worked. In fairness, Manjaro says that the
test installer (with UEFI support) might not work. After the
installation everything worked well (wifi, sound etc.). Ubuntu on
the other hand did not, I had to download Xubuntu desktop to get
a UI, and then edit a file that is "no longer needed" (but
apparently is!). Then Unity worked too. Still, Ubuntu would
always have some issue (wifi would break down, sound would not
work, something new every effin day). So I decided to give it the
boot, and for other reasons too: I don't like the Ubuntu approach
anymore. I was beginning to feel Microsoftened or (ver)Appled.