[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Tue Jan 21 03:18:04 PST 2014

On Monday, 20 January 2014 at 12:30:27 UTC, Chris wrote:
> At work we use Ubuntu, however, I'm not at all happy with it
> and don't want to use it on my private computer. Which is the
> best alternative (I've been looking at OpenSUSE; Mint is based
> on Ubuntu/Debian but only shares the repository with Ubuntu
> (right?); Fedora has bad reviews at the moment and might be a
> pain to set up (drivers etc.)). I'm also considering FreeBSD, a
> completely different beast.

FreeBSD with E17 is the best desktop I've ever used, very fast
and responsive.  You can quickly run or install PC-BSD to see if
it will go well with your hardware, then reinstall to FreeBSD if
you like it but don't want or need all the PC-BSD extras.  The
FreeBSD packaging system works very well.

Arch is the one linux distro that reminds me of FreeBSD,
particularly pacman and the AUR, which is why it is the only one
I install these days.