[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Jan 22 02:14:56 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 22 January 2014 at 05:31:02 UTC, Danni Coy wrote:
> So far I have found Kubuntu to be the least amount of work to
> get a
> system that works the way I want. I have tried Arch and
> OpenSuSe but
> both of those seem to be a lot more work.

I installed a flavor or ArchLinux (Manjaro, cos I'm lazy) and
could get things to work (including the touchscreen) fairly
easily. It took less time than trying to fix all the problems I
had with Ubuntu ("low graphics mode", touch screen etc.), and the
documentation is really really good. What they say works, unlike
askubuntu* that gives you 1,000 answers that don't work, and you
end up having changed 1,000 things more or less randomly. I'm
beginning to like ArchLinux, it gives me freedom and control over
my own computer.

(*What really annoys, now that I have made the switch, is that on
askubuntu it often seems as if it's the vendor's fault, if the
hardware doesn't work properly with Ubuntu. However, with
ArchLinux my hardware works very well. Hm.)