Object file extensions

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Jan 22 10:18:08 PST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 18:38 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
> The tradition (AIUI) on Linux is for PIC object files to have
> extension .os. DMD however refuses to recognize this extension. Is this
> something to fix?

Hummm… clearly I only use SCons for compiling and thus over-inferred.

For platforms that have PIC and non-PIC compilation, SCons uses .o for
non-PIC and .os for PIC so that you can compile for shared and static
libraries concurrently in the same tree. Waf and CMake have other
conventions for handling this: they don't ;-)

I have changed the SCons D builder to only use .o extension even though
the .o/.os is used for C, C++ and Fortran. This is sad as I am trying to
get D in as a peer of these rather than second class citizen.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk