GPGPUs

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 13:20:28 PST 2014

> I did an internship at CERN during 2003-2004. Lots of
> interesting C++ being used there as well.

Small world, we were at CERN at the same time. There's still a
lot of "interesting" C++ going on there. I haven't worked there
in 5 years but my girlfriend still does. What's worse is how
"interesting" their Python is as well... screwing up C++ is easy.
Doing that to Python takes effort.

> I still like C++, but with C++14 and whatever might come in
> C++17 it might just be too much for any sane developer. :\

I know what you mean. C++11 is a lot better than C++2003 but I
don't think anyone could argue with a straight face that it's not
more complicated. Fortunately for me, I started learning D pretty
much as soon as I realised I was still shooting myself in the
foot with C++11.

>> Unfortunately this is a field where Fortran is still the
>> dominant language.
>
> Yep, ATLAS still had lots of it.

A lot of it is being / has been converted to C++, or so I hear.

Atila