[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

Thomas Mader thomas.mader at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 13:36:17 PST 2014

On Friday, 24 January 2014 at 11:26:43 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 1/23/2014 2:00 AM, Thomas Mader wrote:
>>
>> A rolling release system like Arch has it is fabulous, but
>> only if you
>> also get a rollback functionality.
>
> Does it?

If NixOS supports a rollback? Yes indeed it does, you can even do
a "test" upgrade which doesn't get to be selected as the default
boot option. So if you reboot the machine, you are left with the
exact same system before your test.
You can even simply create a Virtual Machine to test a new
configuration without a reboot.

So there is no way to get a broken system at times you don't have
time to fix your system after an update because you can always
simply rollback to the old configuration.
The only exception is, if the boot loader doesn't work anymore.

Good overview of the philosophy behind the project:
http://nixos.org/nixos/

The project is very young (first stable release back in October)
and inmature but I do really like the idea.