[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Fri Jan 24 14:16:23 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 21 January 2014 at 15:08:16 UTC, Chris wrote:
> How's the FreeBSD documentation / community? Is it easy to find
> solutions?

FreeBSD has the best official docs I've ever seen for an OS:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

The mailing lists and forums are good places to get questions
answered.  I've never had problems finding solutions, if they
exist. ;) Arch's wiki might be the best such informational
resource I've ever seen though.

> I'm testing ArchLinux now and so far I think it's great. I've
> encountered less problems than on other, so called
> user-friendly, distros. The documentation is sound, and I like
> the fact that it's a rolling distro. If it comes so close to
> FreeBSD, as has been said, I wonder if it is worth the trouble
> to install FreeBSD at all.

It's worth trying FreeBSD if you're at all interested in tech
like zfs, zones, dtrace, bhyve, etc.  Pacman is better than any
other package manager I've used though.