[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

ed growlercab at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 15:17:54 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 21 January 2014 at 10:53:32 UTC, simendsjo wrote:
[snip]

> It's the first distro that Just Works (TM) for me, and the
> distro that made me go full-time GNU/Linux.
> Even compiling a custom kernel, which I needs for a piece of
> hardware, is just a couple of commands.
>
> I haven't tried much of the graphical tools though, so you
> might have to be comfortable with the terminal for all I know.

+1 to everything said here. Arch was also the first distro which
for me just works and keeps on working.

When Fedora broke I didn't mind. It was usually just after a
fresh install, easy to fix and very occasional. It was just too
out of date for my taste.

I had a lot of problems with Ubuntu and stability from
7.10-13.04. Even guys at my work, which were Ubuntu fanatics,
stopped at 13.04 when I convinced them to try Arch because they
were having issues after the release. One did settle on Fedora
because Arch required RTFM for 10 mins during first install.

Now at work Ubuntu users are rare. The occasional junior dev,
straight out of uni/college and still very earnest and excitable,
may be spotted booting into Ubuntu but that's it.

Cheers,
Ed