Current state of "D as a better C" (Windows)?

Frank Bauer y at z.com
Sat Jan 25 21:35:25 PST 2014

On Sunday, 26 January 2014 at 04:18:47 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> However your initial post claims that the language won't let us
> achieve that state, and people here are trying to explain that
> simply isn't true, we just don't have the libraries built up
> yet.

Wrong. Read one post above:

On Sunday, 26 January 2014 at 03:29:00 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> GC is a language feature of D.
>
> As funny as that may seem (as a comeback timed almost too well)
> this has interesting truth to it. Some convenience features of
> D require GC to work, and that's as cut and dried as it gets.

But I agree with Andrei: it requires reason and measure. I just
think that D could keep all of the features that make it great
(modules, templates, slices are without rival, Phobos is well
laid out), even after a complete overhaul of the memory system.
Or watch part of the (real) systems programmers move from C++ to
Rust (should it reach a stable 1.0, it already compiles itself)
and the Java / C# crowd stay where they are.