Which tools do you miss in D?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 00:23:55 PST 2014

On 27 January 2014 18:11, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> In order:
>
> 1. A debugger (that works properly)
> 2. Go-to definition (that always works)
> 3. Auto-complete (that always works)
> 4. Import management (missing/duplicate/unused imports)
> 5. Typical suite of modern refactoring tools

I might add, the frequency to which I pine for these things is in the order
of minutes, perhaps even 10s of seconds >_<

I made an interesting observation recently... D has kind of ruined my
career ;)
Before I started using D a lot, I found C/C++ quite okay as a language. But
after extended time using D, I find C/C++ borderline intolerable, and don't
enjoy writing it at all.
But the tooling built around C/C++ is pretty good, and as such, I find the
tooling while working in D borderline intolerable.

So, before, I generally enjoyed my work, and felt generally productive. Now
days, whenever I do any work in either language, I find one aspect or the
other borderline intolerable, and I have trouble enjoying spending my time
programming for long periods before getting frustrated and going and doing
something else...

I'm quite serious, this is a true realisation of an unconscious behaviour.
D ruined C/C++ for me, but my expectations of C/C++'s tooling still remains
a barrier to my enjoyment of writing D code all time time... I'm fucked!