Which tools do you miss in D?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 17:16:41 PST 2014

On 28 January 2014 01:47, Atila Neves <atila.neves at gmail.com> wrote:

>  dub doesn't address my needs at all, but I've put crap loads of
>> time/energy
>> into the D extension for premake, which works well (
>> https://bitbucket.org/premakeext), although for some reason has never
>> really gotten any attention from the D community :(
>>

> Never heard of the extension until now.
>

>> It generates cross-language build scripts (ie, C/C++ and D code all
>> together in the same project) for make and many popular IDE's.
>> I use it for large scale projects that involve C/C++ engine library, D
>> front end code, and other ancillary libraries bolted on the side.
>>

> That's cool, and I might make use of this when mixing D and C/C++. What
> dub does do really well is just making any source package available. I wish
> I had that plus the full features of a build system like CMake all under
> one roof.

premake does everything cmake does (that I care about), and also ticks some
boxes (that I make heavy use of) that cmake lacks; like supporting games
consoles and stuff like that.
I've never been happy with cmake, but premake is fairly nice, and it's
fully scriptable if it's idea of something is just not quite right.

Only problem is, there's been heaps of development on premake, homing in on
premake5, mainly in terms of extensibility. But it's not yet available as
binary packages. My extensions for D and other IDE's and toolchains all
work against the trunk premake5 code.