Which tools do you miss in D?

Brian Schott briancschott at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 21:25:38 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 03:43:11 UTC, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
> On Monday, 27 January 2014 at 13:12:56 UTC, Manu wrote:
>> D doesn't have a preprocessor or a horrible network of text
>> include, it
>> should easily be able to match the C# experiences in general.
>
> No, it's much, much harder because of templates and string
> mixins.

Agreed. D is a language that almost seems like it was designed to
maximize the difficulty of creating a complete autocomplete
engine. As soon as you hit a line that looks like

mixin (someRandomTemplate!(a, b, c)(d, e, f));

you need a full compiler front-end to provide complete
autocomplete.

> The only way to get a solid auto-complete experience for D is
> to use a compiler-as-library, which is why I think the approach
> that VisualD and Mono-D (and DScanner to some extent, IIRC)
> takes is a colossal waste of time, as "good enough" will in
> fact never be good enough.

If they were a waste of time nobody would use them.