[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Jan 28 06:06:07 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 12:17:28 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 11:42:22 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 11:34:42 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>>
>>> On ideology offtopic - in my opinion BSD is akin to anarchism
>>> and GPL is like communism, in modern internet flavor :)
>>
>> Not so sure about the anarchism bit. In an anarchy nobody can
>> assume power (i.e. make it proprietary).
>
> This statement is only true if you consider information a
> meta-property and thus very concept of copyright legitimate.

Legitimacy of copyright is a tough one. Software development and
the internet have added a new angle to it. However, where do you
draw the line? The fact that something can be easily copied /
distributed (internet) does not mean that the concept of
copyright is obsolete (cf. the Pirate Party). Why should a
composer, band or author not have the copyright on his/her own
work and not see any money for it?

In software it's a bit different. Where does "innovation" or "own
work" start? Companies have sued each other for trivial things
that anybody would come up with intuitively. However, I don't
think that you can easily compare the world of software
development with other areas.