[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Jan 28 07:11:15 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 14:06:08 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Legitimacy of copyright is a tough one. Software development
> and the internet have added a new angle to it. However, where
> do you draw the line? The fact that something can be easily
> copied / distributed (internet) does not mean that the concept
> of copyright is obsolete (cf. the Pirate Party).

For me it is convincing enough, despite working in industry which
has traditionally relied on that (good to see it is moving from
there). Concept of authorship is important, concept of copyright
is fallacy.

> Why should a composer, band or author not have the copyright on
> his/her own work and not see any money for it?

Why can't they do it without relying on copyright? ;) Software
industry has moved quite a lot in direction of SaaS models, for
example, when encountered similar problem. Kickstarter has shown
that you can find different ways of funding creativity. It may
destroy few industries in process but I have zero respect to
habits or tradition.

> In software it's a bit different. Where does "innovation" or
> "own work" start? Companies have sued each other for trivial
> things that anybody would come up with intuitively. However, I
> don't think that you can easily compare the world of software
> development with other areas.

You can't, of course, but other areas are not as naturaly
fast-evolving as IT stuff is so it is always interesting to model
former with the latter in attempt to guess any possible future
impact.

See how GPL vs BSD comes to dispute over fundamental beliefs? :P