Which tools do you miss in D?

Daniel Murphy yebbliesnospam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 08:41:23 PST 2014

"Manu" <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.121.1390920126.13884.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> > We're just waiting for Daniel Murphy to finish the D port of the DMD
> > frontend.
>
> How's that coming along? The guys basically started that at the last
> dconf.

I have successfully produced working D compilers on win32, linux32, and
linux64.

The generated d code preserves comments and is split up into multiple source
files.

Of the original hundred-and-something patches in
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1980 only 4 remain.

- Mangling of long/ulong
(https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3158)
- Mangling of templated structs
(https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3160)
- Clean up comments so the converter can do something sane with them
(https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3123)
- Prevent g++ from emitting a vtable (will not be needed after the visitor
refactoring)

On top of this, we need to refactor a bunch of virtual function hierarchies
into visitor classes, unless we want cast.c/optimize.c/interpret.c to
disappear and expression.d to become enormous (~25000 lines).

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3164
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3118
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3111

Having a working compiler with no outstanding patches on all supported
platforms within the next month is quite possible, but it will depend on the
rate at which the pulls get reviewed and merged.