[OT] Good or best Linux distro?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Jan 29 06:12:02 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 29 January 2014 at 10:34:08 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 January 2014 at 10:18:49 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> Ok. Imagine you write a song called "Destroy!" (maybe having
>> traditions and rules in mind). Two things happen:
>>
>> 1. A band records it (or puts it on youtube) and has a hit.
>> They respect your authorship, say "Thanks, buddy!", but they
>> get all the money.
>
> Expected and appropriate. Don't put stuff public that is not
> expected to be in public domain. Once anyone else knows it, it
> is out of your control. Royalties should just vanish from
> existence.

But this is exactly what keeps people from sharing their stuff.
And then you have a situation where nobody gets anything out of
it. Good stuff is "kept secret".

> And even better - don't write songs if you are for money.

This is not the point. You write songs, because they come to you,
not because you think of making money, at least if you are a
serious musician. The point is that it is simply not fair that
someone gets money for something someone else created. Many
inventors and musician died in poverty while untalented but
greedy business men made millions. It's simply not fair.

>> 2. A bunch of racists use the song (because of the titles) for
>> one of their hate rallies, pointing at minorities and singing
>> "Destroy! Destroy!".
>
> And you will accept it. Or try to punish them for what they
> actually do, not for songs they use.
>
> Accepting that you can't have control over other people is
> first step to become free yourself. Most police states start
> from restrictions appealing to public morale and greater good.

Fair enough.

>> "once it's out there, you can't claim the copyright/authorship
>> anymore".
>
> Only copyright. Authorship is relatively easy to claim - you
> only need to be first documented person publishing it. About
> song itself - just releasing it with no further concerns can
> help you build the reputation. And that is most valuable thing
> any artist can get.

This sounds a bit cynical, doesn't it? Sounds exactly like the
producers and managers that ripped off black musicians in the
30's, 40's, 50's and 60's "But people respect you for your work,
what else do you want? Money doesn't count (cos I'm counting it,
ha ha ha!)".
I think it boils down to fairness. If someone can have a good
life with what you've created, why shouldn't you have a good life
too? You have to change the system completely so that everyone
gets his / her due. You cannot have a system where a band can
make money with a song, but royalties don't exist, and the author
gets nothing.