Reviving YAGE

Ryan Voots simcop2387 at simcop2387.info
Wed Jan 29 12:27:15 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 29 January 2014 at 18:15:57 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic
wrote:
> On 1/29/14, Ryan Voots <simcop2387 at simcop2387.info> wrote:
>> but it's coming along faster than I had expected.
>
> Is it already buildable? Any samples work? Nice that you're
> working on it.

Not buildable yet, but i've managed to get it started building in
dub and resolved almost all of the dependencies with it.  The
only one it's missing is the bindings for GLU directly which i'll
likely end up writing out of the engine once it starts compiling
and then breaking during linking from unresolved symbols and such.

Most of the APIs it used have changed in the 2 years or so since
it was last really updated so there's quite a bit of work ahead,
and I plan on getting it to GL3+ once it's building and the demos
run.  The fun part will be to get it to be idiomatic D2 once it's
building and working, I imagine that will be a nearly
never-ending battle unless someone just rewrites large parts of
it (this might end up happening if I get to it).

It's definitely got enough of the boilerplate stuff for building
a game that doing this port should certainly help me with my
project so I figured I'll let it help other's too.

That said I've made some good progess these past two days on
getting it to build at least so it should hopefully not be much
longer (hoping i'll have it building but not running properly in
a week or so).