Smart pointers instead of GC?

Frank Bauer y at z.com
Fri Jan 31 12:10:56 PST 2014

+1.

What it boils down to for me then, is:

If I want to write applications without low-latency requirements,
D is the perfect fit for me. D's templates, slices, CTFE instead
of a nasty macro or preprocessor language, compiler producing
machine code, are enough for me to switch from C# or Java.

If on the other hand, I do have low-latency requirements, I
simply don't want to jump through hoops, i.e. implement all
critical memory management C++ style by myself to prevent the GC
from kicking in. And If I even have to use GC profiling on top of
that, D's cleaner language concepts just don't cut it for me.
I'll take a look at Rust for that (admitted, not as well thought
out a language as D).