10th Birthday for GDC

Craig Dillabaugh craig.dillabaugh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 12:13:13 PST 2014

On Friday, 31 January 2014 at 19:43:22 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 1/31/14, Dicebot <public at dicebot.lv> wrote:
>> I think he may have meant that as Arch Linux has gdc package
>> available, such simple script exists - it is a package build
>> script which is publicly available. But it is for 4.8 gcc
>> branch
>> so does not really help much :(
>
> Right, I need something to build the source with after I modify
> the
> source. Git-head, and all that. Prebuilt binaries are of no
> use. :)

Sadly, it was the former.  Based on all the rave reviews on the
"Best Linux" thread I tried to install Arch on a VirtualBox VM
yesterday.  I spent 2.5 hours carefully reading (and following I
believed) the installation instructions, only to end up with an
unbootable VM.  It wasn't wasted time though really, because I
learned some new things that I never would have picked up with a
graphical install. However, I could see that someone who didn't
want to learn the installation details would have gone crazy.

After that I installed Mint on another VM, in about 5 minutes. It
booted with no troubles.