Which tools do you miss in D?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Jan 31 12:56:19 PST 2014

On 1/27/2014 3:23 AM, Manu wrote:

> I made an interesting observation recently... D has kind of ruined my
> career ;)
> Before I started using D a lot, I found C/C++ quite okay as a language. But
> after extended time using D, I find C/C++ borderline intolerable, and don't
> enjoy writing it at all.
> But the tooling built around C/C++ is pretty good, and as such, I find the
> tooling while working in D borderline intolerable.
>
> So, before, I generally enjoyed my work, and felt generally productive. Now
> days, whenever I do any work in either language, I find one aspect or the
> other borderline intolerable, and I have trouble enjoying spending my time
> programming for long periods before getting frustrated and going and doing
> something else...
>
> I'm quite serious, this is a true realisation of an unconscious behaviour.
> D ruined C/C++ for me, but my expectations of C/C++'s tooling still remains
> a barrier to my enjoyment of writing D code all time time... I'm fucked!

I had a similar experience a little over ten years back with C/C++ vs
Java. I'd been a [relatively] happy C/C++ user, until I tried Java which
destroyed my ability to tolerate C++'s import system and OOP. But Java
(this was back around v1.2) came with plenty of its own pains, so I
became extremely frustrated with programming in general.

Luckily D fixed all that for me (and to a lesser extent, C#, but that
was before I got fed up with C#'s near-total lack of metaprogramming and
some other things.) The debugger issues don't really bug [heh] me much
because I've been in many situations in the past where I didn't have a
debugger available, that I've become very comfortable with printf-style
debugging, and usually even prefer it. (Not that a good debugger isn't a
fantastic thing to have. It certainly is.)