Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 1 15:02:17 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 1 July 2014 at 21:15:10 UTC, Gary Willoughby wrote:
> In the past i worked on purely traditional packaging so
> everything you saw in the supermarkets i had a hand in. Food,
> clothing, magazines, etc.

I just asked because I was genuinely interested in your
background, not because it would be particularly relevant for
this discussion. However, please understand that when your answer
to a question for design references is "everything you saw in the
supermarkets" and a shop you do software engineering for, I have
somewhat of a hard time taking you seriously. You probably
wouldn't talk like that to (former) colleagues, would you?

> Believe me branding is everything do not take this stuff so
> lightly.

I'm not taking it lightly. The big issue I see with the current
state is that D simply doesn't have a consistent brand at this
point, and never had (D Man, anyone?). Frantically clinging to
the current bits and pieces doesn't help us at all, and neither
do alarmist and inflammatory sweeping blows directed at a honest
(and only partially related) volunteer effort.

Instead, we should try to channel what we currently have into a
appealing and recognizable brand. Even if that means slightly
touching up the logo to adapt some of the elements that might
have been hip a while ago, but would seem rather quaint in a
current design. I completely agree that this can't be a matter of
somebody toying around with Inkscape a bit (no offense!), but
discouraging everybody from addressing the issue at all while at
the same time not bringing anything to the table yourself also
isn't particularly productive.

David