Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 1 15:41:07 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 1 July 2014 at 22:02:19 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 July 2014 at 21:15:10 UTC, Gary Willoughby wrote:
> […]

Even though my message probably doesn't stand out in the context
of this discussion, that came across as quite a bit more
offensive than I intended, and I apologize for that.

However, I indeed think that if you care about design and
branding, the best way is to get involved with improving the
situation by making your own concrete suggestions and proposals –
D desperately needs somebody skilled who "owns" design –, and not
to try and educate the world assuming that all the others are
clueless. ;)

And besides, design by committee works even less in graphics than
it does in software, which is also why I decided not to comment
on any of the early-stage proposals so far. I firmly believe that
by continuing to discuss for the sake of it and throwing around
blanket statements – something this community seems to be
particularly adept at, unfortunately –, we'll only dissuade the
people we really want to have working on these issues from
stepping forward. I mean, we both know how annoying clients who
don't give you the freedom you need to work while changing their
"vision" all the time are.

Cheers,
David