Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Shammah Chancellor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 04:58:26 PDT 2014

On 2014-07-02 02:32:18 +0000, Walter Bright said:

> On 7/1/2014 3:02 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> I'm not taking it lightly. The big issue I see with the current state is that D
>> simply doesn't have a consistent brand at this point, and never had (D Man,
>> anyone?). Frantically clinging to the current bits and pieces doesn't
>> help us at
>> all, and neither do alarmist and inflammatory sweeping blows directed at a
>> honest (and only partially related) volunteer effort.
>
> The only thing that we have that is consistent is the current D logo. I
> do not understand the rationale for changing it.

The change that w0rt put together as a showcase is not a redesign of
the logo.   All he did was stylize it for the design of the website he
put together -- which looks fantastic!

>> Instead, we should try to channel what we currently have into a appealing and
>> recognizable brand. Even if that means slightly touching up the logo to adapt
>> some of the elements that might have been hip a while ago, but would
>> seem rather
>> quaint in a current design. I completely agree that this can't be a matter of
>> somebody toying around with Inkscape a bit (no offense!), but discouraging
>> everybody from addressing the issue at all while at the same time not bringing
>> anything to the table yourself also isn't particularly productive.
>
> There's so much that can be done to improve the website, I'm reluctant
> to put time and energy into redesigning the logo.

Nobody is asking you to put any time or effort into redesigning the
logo.   I realize you may not think so, but the current logo is not
very attractive.    Unfortunately, having a modern website with
attractive graphics goes a long way toward garnering support for a
project.

Walter, I've been involved with D since 2001 (iirc? 0.064 i think?)  I
absolutely love your language and the project.   The D Programming
Languages deserves more usage and notoriety since it *is* the best
programming language available.   To do this, we need as many people
working on whatever niches they care about the most.    Can we please
delegate some control of the website to someone who's already put a
substantial amount of work into making a modern and attractive version
(w0rt) of it.

-Shammah