std.math performance (SSE vs. real)

Wanderer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 05:16:17 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 1 July 2014 at 19:36:26 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
>> Besides, Java and Javascript, for example, both require IEEE
>> conformance.
>
> But they aren't system level programming languages… and we
> probably cannot expect future many-core processors or
> transputer-like processors to waste die space in order to
> conform.

So it's okay for "system level programming languages" to produce
numeric garbage when it comes to floating points? ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Some people keep claiming that D is a
"system level programming language" despite there is no single OS
and no single hardware driver written in D yet. Which sorta puts
D and Java into the same boat. Besides - gasp! - Java *is* a
system level programming language after all. There are
platforms/devices which support Java bytecode natively. For
system programming, it's extra important that the same algorithm
produces exactly the same results on different environments. And
the speed is not always the most important factor.