Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Jared via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 09:58:05 PDT 2014

> However i find it extremely alarming that there is a casual
> disregard for any sort of consistency of the D brand.

> Yes logo changes do occur but they can be incredibly hurtful
> for companies and products if they don't get it exactly right.
> All logo changes of established entities should be managed with
> utmost care and respect. Simply by changing the icon for which
> you are recognised internationally, you pay an immediate cost
> of non recognition but it's the perception of users that create
> the biggest fallout.

I understand and sympathize where you're coming from, but I think
it's less important than one might think. Golang's logo is a
stupid-looking gopher that looks like it was drawn by a
4-year-old. Python also has IMO an ugly, amateurish logo (but
better than the truly hideous one it had until 2005). Julia has a
non-logo (three colored dots over the word "Julia"). R's logo is
just horrid. AFAIK, C++ doesn't even have a logo or any branding
whatsoever.

Developers are a very different customer than the mass market --
they just want to know, "what can it do for me? In particular,
how can this programming language make my life easier and land me
a six-figure job offer?"

D's community & recognition is still very small, comparatively.
If anything,  now or near-future is the perfect time to rebrand &
relaunch.

> * D is a brand, whether you like it or not

Yes, but frankly not yet widely recognized.

> * The logo is the essence of that brand

Disagree. The essence of a brand is the customers' history and
experience of interactions with the entity behind it -- the value
they find in it (or not). In other words, the brand value of D is
precisely how pleasant it makes software development for
professional programmers, such that they can convince their PHBs
of its corresponding value to the business. Yes, a sketchy
website will scare off a lot of people from trying the language,
but basically in this domain there's a *very low bar* for
marketing -- you just have to be *not* sketchy-looking.

> * D has a history of poorly managed change

Hmmm... perhaps, but it can afford to "break stuff" still since
there likely aren't more than a couple dozen companies with
large, critical D projects in production.

> * D's community has been destroyed once before (Tango)

For substantive reasons, not branding.

> * D has the preception of unreliability
> * D is not seen as a professional offering
> * D is perceved as half finished

Then those underlying problems (usability, reliability, general
quality) insofar as they are real issues need to be to be fixed,
and current D users need to evangelize -- otherwise any branding
efforts will be ineffective. Again, languages have a pretty low
bar from a marketing perspective -- the big hurdles are
elsewhere. I agree that some basic aura of professionalism and
stability are necessary.

> We need to design a robust, user focused site that nurtures the
> brand but also focused on giving people information quickly. A
> site that is immediately recognisable to users, that exudes
> professionalism and stabiliy.

Again, this point is mainly about usability (search, navigation,
quality of content). Branding really has a minimal role -- it
just has to stay in the background and *not* scare people off.

Ideally a "Design & Web Czar" would just make behind-the-scenes
executive decisions about all this stuff, no NG discussion needed.