Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Gary Willoughby via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 10:34:45 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 1 July 2014 at 22:02:19 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> I just asked because I was genuinely interested in your
> background, not because it would be particularly relevant for
> this discussion. However, please understand that when your
> answer to a question for design references is "everything you
> saw in the supermarkets" and a shop you do software engineering
> for, I have somewhat of a hard time taking you seriously. You
> probably wouldn't talk like that to (former) colleagues, would
> you?

It's pointless naming brands i've worked on because there have
been so many over the years and the gamut is so wide. Also i
guarantee you will of never heard of them because many groups use
different brand names for each country. This is part of my
argument. When these large groups take over smaller brands they
homogenise them but keep the brand identities as they were, there
is simply too much at stake in changing them.

See this chart: http://i.imgur.com/k0pv0.jpg

I've been involved in most of the brands from all of those
international groups.

On Tuesday, 1 July 2014 at 22:02:19 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> You probably wouldn't talk like that to (former) colleagues,
> would you?

Yes we do because we're all in the same boat. It's no big deal
after so much time.

On Wednesday, 2 July 2014 at 11:02:58 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> We don't have any recognizable branding worth fighting for. I
> can't even remember how current D logo looks like without
> checking the website, it is just some image in the corner of
> the page. "Branding" is something bigger than that.

But you recognise it when you see it!

On Wednesday, 2 July 2014 at 11:56:39 UTC, Shammah Chancellor
wrote:
> The change that w0rt put together as a showcase is not a
> redesign of the logo.   All he did was stylize it for the
> design of the website he put together -- which looks fantastic!

But it's completely the wrong way of going about it. The website
should be designed to a specification and part of that
specification will be to respect the identity of D, including the
logo. Just saying i needed to redesign the logo because it didn't
fit with my website design is total poppycock. If we as a
COMMUNITY are going to redesign the site it should be done by
people who already know this! I applaud w0rp's efforts but to be
honest we need it doing properly.

On Wednesday, 2 July 2014 at 11:56:39 UTC, Shammah Chancellor