Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 11:32:43 PDT 2014

On 7/2/2014 4:58 AM, Shammah Chancellor wrote:
> On 2014-07-02 02:32:18 +0000, Walter Bright said:
>> There's so much that can be done to improve the website, I'm reluctant to put
>> time and energy into redesigning the logo.
>
> Nobody is asking you to put any time or effort into redesigning the logo.

Look at all the time and effort just in these threads.

> I realize you may not think so, but the current logo is not very attractive.
> Unfortunately, having a modern website with attractive graphics goes a long way
> toward garnering support for a project.

I very much understand and agree with the reasons for a distinctive logo. Not
everyone is going to like every logo, but that doesn't really subtract from its
effectiveness.

BTW, Apple's site last time I looked at it was clearly designed for aesthetic
appeal, but its use of grey text on a white background with a small font made it
literally painful for me to read their developer documentation. That's a great
way to beat developers away with a stick.

What I'm saying is that above all the site has to be usable for developers -
that means fast loading, easy navigation, well organized information content,
and readable fonts.

> Walter, I've been involved with D since 2001 (iirc? 0.064 i think?)  I
> absolutely love your language and the project.   The D Programming Languages
> deserves more usage and notoriety since it *is* the best programming language
> available.   To do this, we need as many people working on whatever niches they
> care about the most.    Can we please delegate some control of the website to
> someone who's already put a substantial amount of work into making a modern and
> attractive version (w0rt) of it.

Andrei is in charge of the web site. That doesn't necessarily mean he is doing
the work, but he reviews and approves changes.