[OT] Intel for mobile

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 11:47:21 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 2 July 2014 at 09:13:50 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Will Intel get into the mobile market in the next couple of
> years? I've heard that some mobile devices are now fitted with
> Intel processors. First tablets and now a Lenovo smartphone.

They've had trouble getting into smartphones, but they've been in
tablets for a couple years now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_3_10.1

They've had more design wins in phones recently, after dropping
their prices and power budgets:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/a-closer-look-at-asus-zenfone-line/

They're going to give it a shot, whether they'll ever get much
market share is an open question.  They make a lot more money
from their desktop/laptop and server chips, so maybe that's why
they didn't care about mobile all this time, but as ARM moves
into the server with their new 64-bit ARMv8 architecture, which
is even coming to phones nowadays, they should watch out.