Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Tofu Ninja via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 11:49:48 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 2 July 2014 at 17:34:46 UTC, Gary Willoughby wrote:
>*wall'o'text*

You are right, we need to be much more professional in the way we
deal with things regarding branding, but I also think that you
are fighting the wrong fight here. I think there is a bit of a
misunderstanding regarding what is meant by redesign.

Unless I am wrong(I haven't been keeping up 100% on all the
website redesign stuff), we don't really want a new logo, just a
reinterpretation that better fits with the planned website theme.

For example look at google, compare the logo from a few years[1]
ago to the one now[2]. Same logo, just slightly different to keep
up with the times.

You are vary right in that we need to worry a lot about our
branding, but I think what you are not taking into account is
that branding works a little bit different in tech industries.
Because of the vary fast pace of change in tech, it is important
to give off a feeling of newness and freshness. If it *appears*
that the brand is older due to website design or logo design,
that will have a large impact on the perceived relevancy of the
product.

It has been commented on in this thread that major tech companies
seem to always be following a fad, in that the prevalent theme
seems to change quite often. For example going from high
gloss(win7 era) to flat(win8 era). I don't think this is by
accident(how could it be). To stay relevant, they must be
perceived as having innovation even if that innovation only comes
in the form of a face lift.

I vary much agree with you that we need to be more professional
in they way branding is being dealt with. But I also agree that
the direction that w0rp is going is also the right direction.

[1]
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100520131746/logopedia/images/5/5c/Google_logo.png
[2] https://www.google.com/images/srpr/logo11w.png