Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 12:51:28 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 2 July 2014 at 18:32:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> BTW, Apple's site last time I looked at it was clearly designed
> for aesthetic appeal, but its use of grey text on a white
> background with a small font made it literally painful for me
> to read their developer documentation. That's a great way to
> beat developers away with a stick.
>
> What I'm saying is that above all the site has to be usable for
> developers - that means fast loading, easy navigation, well
> organized information content, and readable fonts.

I completely agree with that. Grey on white was a bad choice. I'm
not sure how I feel now about their Objective C documentation. I
think it got the information across quickly enough at least.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/Classes/NSString_Class/Reference/NSString.html#//apple_ref/occ/instm/NSString/initWithBytes:length:encoding:

I've been aiming for making text readable, using headings and
navigation to make documents easier to jump through, sticking
with things which will render quickly, etc. A lot of work so far
has just been for formatting text.