std.math performance (SSE vs. real)

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 14:28:00 PDT 2014

On 2 July 2014 19:58, via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2 July 2014 at 16:03:47 UTC, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
>>

>> Only matters if you have to implement it in your backend
>

> You have to implement it in the backend if D requires strict IEEE754
> conformance?

No, you don't.  At least I just let the gcc backend take care of
whatever behaviours occur.  Which tend to be based around C as a
baseline.

>> Vectors are treated differently from floats
>

> How can you then let the compiler vectorize? You can't. Meaning, your code
> will run very slow.

Easily - it does this for you so long as it determines that it is beneficial.

>> The ARM market is terrible, and it will certainly be the case that we
>> *can't* have a one size fits all solution.  But in the standard
>> libraries we can certainly keep strictly in line with the most
>> conforming chips, so if you wish to support X you may do so in a
>> platform-specific fork.
>

> I don't really understand the reasoning here. Is D Intel x86 specific?

Yes it is, more than you might realise.  I've been spending the last 4
years breaking it to be platform agnostic. :o)

Regards
Iain