Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 15:04:54 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 2 July 2014 at 20:04:50 UTC, Gary Willoughby wrote:
> <snip>
>
> The 'new' design by w0rp (http://w0rp.com:8010/) does none of
> those things. He's well intentioned but even things like basic
> text layout and white space usage are completely lacking.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typography
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_space_(visual_arts)
>
> We can do better.

I'm sure we can do better. Right now it's just one guy
(Aleksandar Ruzicic) doing an initial conceptual redesign,
another guy (w0rp) trying to implement it, and a hell of a lot of
people arguing over the minutiae of a redesign that has only just
started. w0rp has said he welcomes any help offered. I'm sure
he'd love to have some pull requests from someone with extensive
experience like yourself.

Vague criticisms like, "basic text layout and white space usage
are completely lacking" and then linking to wikipedia isn't
helping. It's just being insulting and I don't understand at all
why you are being so aggressive and directing so much anger at
people who are all just volunteering their time trying to help
build up D.

I can't take you seriously if all you are going to do is talk
about how you've been a designer for a long time and worked with
the best brands and this design sucks. Offer an alternative or
offer to help (whether through pull requests or specific,
concrete suggestions).