Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 16:31:57 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 11:00:52PM +0000, Israel Rodriguez via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Or you know...you could rename D to maybe something like....The Mars
> programming language? The name isnt taken, and im sure it would make
> it seem more interesting to people.

AFAIK, "Mars" was one of the names Walter originally wanted to use, but
somehow "D" started to spread and "Mars" never gained traction among the
community. In any case, it's far too late to change the name now... that
ship has sailed a long time ago.

[...]
> The standard library could also use some serious love...Although this
> is understandable since its alot more work for just 1 man. But hey,
> hes gotten this far right?

I don't know where you got that impression from, but Phobos is far from
being the work of one man. It does need more work, though. Care to pitch
in?

One reason that few people are aware there are programs running the
internet is that they never crash in any significant way: the free
software underlying the internet is reliable to the point of
invisibility. -- Glyn Moody, from the article "Giving it all away"