Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Gary Willoughby via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 3 05:04:43 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 3 July 2014 at 11:40:34 UTC, Alix Pexton wrote:
> I started working on this little document last night while
> angry and tired, maybe it should find its way to the wiki.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sb4xnZUbzVRIicsfnxBFhTvRH4EOYq88wZexAuGcnaE/edit
>
> Its the last time I'm going to post any work related to D
> branding or logo design unless someone specifically asks me to.
>
> A...

Yes, yes and yes! This is much better! This needs finalising and
approving by the chiefs before any work on the website starts.
This looks great!

Once the logo is officially approved then we can move onto a
vision for D and what the requirements for the website are. In
fact a specification should be drawn up. In Andrei's Quo Vadis
talk he mentioned his vision for D. This needs to be quantified
and put into writing which can then be referred to in the future
when discussions like this take place. Even though they are
cheesy a mission statement couldn't hurt either.

Look at Rust's release announcement:
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/rust-dev/2014-July/010655.html

The first line reads:
"Mozilla and the Rust community are pleased to announce version
0.11.0 of
the Rust compiler and tools. Rust is a systems programming
language with a
focus on safety, performance and concurrency."

That conveys exactly what they are about and where they are
going. We need to do the same.