Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 3 08:52:32 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 3 July 2014 at 14:44:06 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> [...]
> Very nice; thank you.  Though, having thought on it some more,
> I would suggest the capital D and the two moons are the most
> important aspect in terms of a distinctive mark.
>
> The red background is currently an element of the logo design,
> but I don't think it lends much potential for iconified forms.
> Casting outward, I can't think of many logos that depend
> heavily on their background either, and I think there are
> merits to pursuing similar.  Isolating the glyph and moons is
> pretty easy, too!
>
> But this then calls attention to the implied horizon of Mars.
> How essential is it to the mark?  I'm really not sure, but my
> gut is telling me it needs to be given consideration for at
> least the more ornate levels of the design.  So would emulating
> that boundary with a thin crescent work?  I don't have any good
> tools on-hand, but I managed to scrape together this stupidly
> rough wireframe that hopefully illustrates the basic idea well
> enough: http://radiusic.com/imagedump/dwire2.png

That would improve the idea of there being a horizon in the
background but I believe the curvature of the D is intended to be
Mars with the two circles being Phobos and Deimos. The background
curve does look like a horizon but the background is just a
stylistic flourish and I think should just be dropped to focus on
the main element. The version with it doesn't look terrible
though so if people have some sort of attachment to it I wouldn't
be upset if it stayed.